Credit: Image by Vickie McCarty from Pixabay
To nurture new life
- What: A United Church‒published series of books on Christian formation.
- Who: Adults and young adults who want to explore the Bible and Christianity in a small group setting in the context of United Church of Canada ethos.
- Where: United Church Bookstore
Bible Reflections for Older People
- What: Daily Bible reading booklets written by older people for older people, published every four months by the Bible Reading Fellowship in the UK.
- Who: Older Christians
- Where: Bible Reading Fellowship
- What: A free 11-week course that takes you through the basic tenets of the Bible explaining the Christian faith in an easy-to-understand format in the company of fellow learners. A great way of discovering the basic principles of the Christian faith. Find out more by watching the video Try Alpha.
- Who: Everyone, regardless of background or beliefs.
- Where: Alpha
- What: An eight-week course authored by the Rev.: Richard Bott (Moderator) and the Rev. Dave Anderson, this in-depth look into the Christian faith is designed with spiritually curious United Church members in mind.
- Who: Small groups of those desiring to dig deeper into the basics of faith through the lens of a progressive United Church ethos.
- Where: Contact Chris Pullenayegem at the General Council Office for more information.
Bullseye: Aiming to Follow Jesus
- What: A small-group-based discipling resource for the whole congregation produced by North Bramalea United Church for United Church Publishing House.
- Who: All those interested in growing in faith and engaging in six faith growth markers.
- Where: United Church Bookstore
- What: A workbook on the basic tenets of the Christian faith and practices published by the Anglican Church and Wycliffe College.
- Who: All who want to know more about God, Jesus, church, sacraments, serving, and witnessing.
- Where: Wycliffe College. You can download a sample too.
- What: Online resources and courses for a myriad of church-related issues from organizational and functional leadership responsibilities to formation and even help with handling divorce, conflict, etc. The United Church can obtain a general licence to make this available free to all congregations. Please contact Faith Formation at the General Council Office if you need more information: 1-800-268-3781.
- Who: Anyone who wants to learn more about various church-related topics.
- Where: Churchnext
- What: Faith formation resources produced by the Episcopal Church of the USA.
- Who: Families, children, adults who want to engage in faith formation practices.
- Where: Forma
- What: A series of books about 10 habits/practices of the early church, collected and organized into small-group-based courses. Each course can be taken at any time and takes about two to three months to complete. They are designed to produce spiritual habits that become a part of the everyday life of the believer.
- Who: Every believer who is serious about following Jesus.
- Where: Bible Reading Fellowship. Note: A United Church version is being planned.
Lifelong Faith Formation
- What: A comprehensive compilation of free downloadable resources for lifelong faith formation for a variety of learners and situations, children to adult.
- Who: For ordered and lay ministers, faith formation teachers, youth leaders, and others.
- Where: Lifelong Faith Formation
Vibrant Faith Institute
- What: Online foundations program and specialized faith formation courses designed to help you embrace a new vision and develop a new set of practices for faith formation with all ages and generations in your congregation. Please contact Faith Formation at the General Council Office to enquire about the possibility of a subsidy for the cost of courses: 1-800-268-3781.
- Who: For leaders who care about the future of faith formation in their communities, whether they are full-time, part-time, or volunteer leaders. You may be a minister, a Christian education director, or a coordinator of children, youth, or family ministry.
- Where: Vibrant Faith Institute
- What: Free downloadable resources for those who want to engage in prayer, Bible reading, and evangelism. By the United Reformed Church of the UK.
- Who: Anyone who wants to explore the Bible in a creative way and discover ways of praying in the company of a small group.
- Where: Vision4Life