Ministry and Personnel (M&P) Committees in pastoral charges are responsible for supporting, overseeing, and supervising ministry personnel and lay staff. Please see Ministry and Personnel Committees: Policy, Procedures and Practices for
- policy and procedures that must be followed
- best practices that provide information, guidance, and advice on the recommended ways to live out mandatory policies and procedures, which M&P Committee are encouraged, but not required, to follow
A companion volume, Resources for Ministry and Personnel Committees, contains checklists on the structural needs of the Ministry and Personnel Committee; more on its roles and responsibilities, including best practices on giving and receiving feedback, and developing and maintaining healthy ministry teams; resources for the recruitment and selection of lay employees and for annual performance reviews for staff; and lists of helpful websites.
As M&P Committees support ministry personnel during maternity and parental leaves, you may find the Calculating Maternity and Parental Leave Top-Up under Budgeting Tools for Treasurers helpful for determining salary continuance and top-up payment amounts.
The Vacation and Study Leave Worksheet may be useful for tracking leaves.
The LifeSpeak wellness platform can be a tool for your supportive, healthy relationships, and supervisory roles.
And be sure to read your Connex e-newsletter regularly. Connex keeps readers on top of issues affecting pension and benefits, employment policies, and other initiatives. If you aren't receiving it, sign up to get all the latest news from the Benefits Centre website.
Contactif you have questions about human resources policies for ministry personnel or lay employees in pastoral charges.
- Ministry and Personnel Committees: Policy, Procedures, and Practices (January 2019) (249.62 KB) (PDF)
- Resources for Ministry and Personnel Committees (January 2019) (589.56 KB) (PDF)
- Vacation and Study Leave Worksheet for M&P Committees (14.75 KB) (Excel)
- The Ministry of Music in The United Church of Canada (417.8 KB) (PDF)