We are created in the image of God, and scripture reminds us to act justly and to care for those on the margins.
What We Believe
The United Church believes that as we lead lives of compassion and justice, “the poor must have priority… over the wants of the rich.” (“The Church and the Economic Crisis,” 1984). Read more at Working to Eradicate Poverty.
The United Church has outreach and community ministries and collaborates with a number of Canadian and global ecumenical, interfaith, and civil society partners working on poverty issues.
What You Can Do
- Watch this Online Conversation on Housing & Homelessness in Canada (recorded webinar from February 12, 2020, embedded above)
- Read about how United Church community ministries continue to serve forgotten and vulnerable people during COVID-19
- Learn more about Bridges Out of Poverty, a highly successful community program that puts the under-resourced people it seeks to assist in “the driver’s seat” (recorded webinar from February 19, 2020)
- Browse Stories of Our Faith and find out how United Church ministries and partners are working to address poverty in their own contexts.
- Find a Community & Social Justice Ministry
- Participate in the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty on October 17
- View the Poverty in Canada webinar series: 1) Four Stories, 2) Focus on Charity and Justice
- Join the Dignity for All campaign to create a poverty-free Canada
- Connect with:
- Read The United Church of Canada’s Response to the Federal Government’s 2017 Poverty Reduction Consultation (see downloads below)
The Work of Our Partners
Moderator Richard Bott has written to Canadian government officials to ask them to move forward with developing and implementing a universal basic…continue reading
Poverty can happen very quickly to anyone. A universal basic income would help address the persistent inequities within our country.
In the far-flung mountain communities of rural Ecuador, ECLOF’s financial services help Indigenous people lift themselves out of poverty.
|Response to 2017 Poverty Reduction Consultation||532.8 KB|