The United Church of Canada sincerely apologizes for our regretful and damaging role in pressured, coerced, or forced adoptions.
After many years of faithful work learning from mothers about their experiences, reflecting on our theologies around adoption, and lamenting the results of our former beliefs and practices, The United Church of Canada has apologized for its participation in forced adoptions.
Learn more about the history, background, and decisions behind the Adoption Apology.
- Adoption Apology (2020) (221.59 KB) (PDF)
- Terms of Reference for Task Group on Adoption (2012) (115.72 KB) (PDF)
- Adoption Task Group Report (2013) (186.75 KB) (PDF)
- Theology Inter-Church Inter-Faith Adoption Proposal (2018) (132.26 KB) (PDF)
- Theologies of Adoption (2018) (180.08 KB) (PDF)