Faithful, well-equipped, effective ministry personnel
The Office of Vocation is the body in the United Church’s structure that supports the accreditation of ministry personnel. Through the Office, these functions previously performed by presbyteries and Conferences have become a permanent part of the General Council.
The Office of Vocation supports the processes for the discernment and training of ministry personnel, the determination of their fitness/readiness for accreditation, the fulfillment of continuing education standards, and the formal processes for oversight and discipline of ministry personnel.
The Office of Vocation is responsible for establishing standards for ministry personnel (The Manual E.2.2). The Standards for Accreditation Committee oversees this responsibility. These standards are to contribute to the effectiveness of ministry personnel in their leadership in communities of faith and beyond, responding to God’s call. The committee has spent time reviewing and approving standards for training and accreditation for admission of ministers from other denominations and learning outcomes for the professional development of ministry personnel, including mandatory training on racial justice and boundaries for church leaders. Often the standard is an outline of the learning outcomes for an education program. The approved standards are found in the Downloads section of this page.
- How to OV – Annual Declarations: Explains how to complete the Annual Declarations for Ministry Personnel.
- How to OV – Good Standing: A short video about good standing for ministry personnel.
- How to OV - Indigenous Office of Vocation: Explains how the Indigenous OV relates to the OV and the wider church, and how the Calls to the Church relate to the ongoing work of the church.
- How to OV – What Does an Office of Vocation Minister Do? With Tanya Cameron, Office of Vocation Minister.
- What Can ChurchHub Do for You?: What ChurchHub is, what it can do, and why you should be excited about using it!
- Standard of Online Racial Justice Training (162.48 KB) (PDF)
- Competencies for Formation for Ministry and Lifelong Ministry Leadership (88.91 KB) (PDF)
- Learning Outcomes for Personal and Professional Boundaries (165.12 KB) (PDF)
- Learning Outcomes for Admission Ministers (181.81 KB) (PDF)
- Learning Outcomes for Ministry of Supervision Training (134.68 KB) (PDF)
- Learning Outcomes for Boundaries Refresher: Retiring with Grace (133.86 KB) (PDF)
- Diaconal/Ordained Supply: Exception for Ethnocultural or Linguistic Specific Congregation (190.63 KB) (PDF)
- Ministry Demographic Report 2017: Brief Version (495.37 KB) (PDF)