Prayer, worship, and other resources
Anti-Racism in Worship
With your community of faith, plan a time of worship and prayer related to anti-racism. Several resources are available to help you engage, including
- Anti-racism in Worship page
- Black History Month (February)
- International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (March 21)
- Asian Heritage Month (May)
- Worship resources on intercultural themes
- Online worship service hosted by the Black Clergy Network of the United Church on June 14, 2020
International Decade for People of African Descent
The United Church of Canada and the United Church of Christ (USA) are jointly participating in the UN International Decade for People of African Descent (2015–2024).
Follow the United Church on Facebook and Twitter to virtually participate in our Prayer Cycle. Consider amplifying these prayers or sharing your own on social media (use the hashtags #AfricanDescent, #UCCan, #UCC). The prayer cycle can be found in the Downloads, below.
The Young Black Scholars Program, part of the United Church’s commitment to the International Decade for People of African Descent, started on March 1, 2021. Six young Black participants affiliated with United Church communities of faith will be researching various aspects of Black experiences in Canadian churches as part of a learning community. The research part of the project will run from March to June, 2021. Then, from September to December, communities of faith are welcome to host one-hour interactive online presentations of findings from their research. Learn more about the six participants in the biographies, below.
As part of the International Decade for People of African Descent, the United Church worked with the Canadian Council of Churches to host a Cross-Canada Conversation, “Recognition, Justice, and Development: Peoples of African Descent and Canadian Churches,” available as a series of videos. A new companion study guide to the videos is available in English and French.
- Equity Support Team Member: Position Description (164.9 KB) (PDF)
- Light and Dark Imagery in the Bible (18.01 KB) (PDF)
- Young Black Scholarship Program Participants: Bios (291.53 KB) (PDF)
- Living with Respect: A Theology of Copyright (60.46 KB) (PDF)
- International Decade for People of African Descent: 2021 Prayer Cycle (84.59 KB) (Word)