Anticipated Start Date: October 15, 2022
Pilgrim in Mission | October 15 - 19, 2022 | $100 | Adults (ages 18+)
The United Church of Canada invites United Church people interested in learning about global hunger and in meeting with MPs in person to apply for the Canadian Foodgrains Bank (CFGB) Hunger on the Hill Event being held in Ottawa October 15 – 19, 2022. The United Church of Canada is a member of the Canadian Foodgrains Bank (CFGB).
Are you concerned about climate change and the global food system? About Canada’s role in improving food security for people around the world who experience hunger?
Join us to learn more about the importance of advocacy in addressing the major challenge of hunger and climate change. You will get to know other Canadians who care about these issues, and connect with Foodgrains Bank staff who work in the area of public policy and engagement.
Foodgrains Bank staff will work with selected participants from across Canada, gathering first virtually over two online sessions (90 min each -see details below) and then in person in Ottawa for several days to learn more about advocacy with elected officials, and also about the links between our food systems and the issues of climate change, gender equality and food insecurity. Participants will work in small groups to meet face-to-face with MPs, with a debrief session to follow.
Mon. Sept 19, 2022 , 6 pm Central Time Orientation (Virtual)
Thurs. Sept 29, 2022, 10 am Central Time Prep Session (Virtual)
Sat, Oct. 15 - Wed, Oct. 19, 2022 In person Ottawa Program including travel
Oct/Nov TBD, Debriefing (Virtual)
CFGB is collecting a registration fee of $200 for approved applicants and will cover the cost of all trainings, accommodations, meals and other transportation in Ottawa.
If you are part of The United Church, alert us that you are submitting an application and are selected, the General Council Office will cover your travel to and from Ottawa as well as $100 of your registration fee.
- Be a Canadian Citizen ages 18+
- Have a demonstrated commitment to, and engagement in, The United Church of Canada (locally, regionally and/or nationally)
- Be concerned and interested in climate change and the global food system
- Willingness to speak to United Church groups about the experience and its impact
- Willingness to participate in advocacy initiatives and community awareness building on food security issues locally and nationally
- Written piece (about 400 words) summarizing the experience, with 5 hi-res pictures and/or social media presence during the event
- Speaking engagements to UCC communities of faith about the experience
- Ongoing engagement in advocacy in collaboration with Church in Mission staff
To Express Interest
CFGB is encouraging many people to apply. However, they have limited space, and therefore cannot guarantee participation for all those who express interest. Participation will be confirmed on a rolling basis. Applications will be closed by August 28th, 2022. Apply directly on the Canadian Foodgrains Bank webpage.
If you apply, please also send an email to People in Partnership at email@example.com . In doing so, you are granting permission for The United Church of Canada to discuss your application and your participation (if accepted) with CFGB from selection to re-entry and follow up, and opening up door for UCC to financially contribute half of the registration fee and cover travel.
Note: Plans are subject to change in light of COVID-19.