Requirements for obtaining capital assistance funding

Grants and loan amounts are typically limited to a 50% matching of project cost up to the maximum allowable.

Application forms can be downloaded from the linked webpages below, or you can find all the forms in the Capital Assistance section of the Forms page. Please submit all applications to your regional council office.

Income Ceilings

Proof of Charitable Status

This requirement must be met by all United Church ministries. (See the Canada Revenue Agency for your status). No funds will be granted to ministries that have had their status revoked.

One Application per Grant Type per Year

A congregation can apply for several different types of grants in a calendar year—for example, a Technology Grant, a Manse Modernization Grant, and a Church Modernization Grant.

Matching Grants and Grant Maximums

  • The Church Modernization Grant assists with improvements to church buildings, such as roof repairs, water damage repairs, and replacement of windows or doors. This is a matching grant of up to $5,000 in any six-year period for modest income congregations.
  • The Manse Modernization Grant assists ministry personnel who are living in the manse to makie improvements, such as renovating the kitchen or bathroom, painting, or replacing windows and doors. This is a matching grant of up to $5,000 in any six-year period for congregations with modest income.
  • The Technology Support Grant is a matching grant of up to $1,500 that is for technology that enhances worship, communication, training, planning, and accounting functions. Some items it covers are sound systems, computers, projection screens, copiers, and printers.
  • A Capital Assistance Loan is a capital project loan of up to $150,000 or 50% of the total project. Consideration is given to congregations with income up to $300,000.
  • Camp Loans are improvement loans for repairs, improvements, and greening initiatives to assist with up to $50,000 of the project or 50% of the total project cost.

To qualify for a Capital Assistance Grant, improvement items generally must be purchased after the Financial Support Group (FSG) has confirmed approval of the grant.