People are at the heart of everything we do
The United Church of Canada employs staff at the General Council Office, regional councils, and remote workplaces across the country. The Human Resources team works in partnership with units, regional councils, partner organizations, and stakeholders to build thriving workplaces where everyone is welcome. We strive to create diverse and inclusive work environments.
Working together, we help share the mission and vision of The United Church of Canada with communities across the country and around the world. The Human Resources and Payroll team is committed to:
- Ensuring that all processes and decisions are fair, transparent, and equitable
- Providing clear, timely, accurate, and consistent information to employees and employers
- Anticipating problems to provide practical, timely solutions
What we do
The Human Resources and Payroll Team has two primary missions.
We provide fair, accurate, and timely human resource and payroll services to staff and employees in the General Council and regional council offices.
We also provide strategic human resource and payroll services to partner organizations, including:
- Work force planning and recruitment
- Learning and development
- Compensation and reporting
- Dispute resolution
Who to contact
Regional councils provide first-line support for all human resource questions related to ministry personnel and lay employees in a pastoral charge.
The General Council Office provides support to national programs.
- For questions about pastoral charge payroll contact
- For questions about staff payroll contact
- For questions about benefits contact
- For questions about pensions contact
- For questions about restorative care plan (RCP) contact
For questions about job opportunities in the regional councils or General Council Office, visit our Job and Volunteer Opportunities page.
Human Resources Policy Manual
These policies have been developed for staff of the General Council Office and regional councils of The United Church of Canada. They aim to balance the needs of the organization with the needs of individuals while reflecting the values and priorities of the church and complying with government legislation. Policies in the Human Resources Policy Manual apply to all staff, both Order of Ministry and lay, in the General Council Office and regional councils.
Communities of faith and other ministries in The United Church of Canada may refer to the Human Resources Policy manual as a guide for establishing best practices for their policies for the employment of lay employees. The policy manual is updated at least once a year or more often as required. The Statutory Holiday Schedule and the Salary Schedule for General Council Office and Regional Council Staff may also be consulted.
Policies guiding the appointment or call of ministry personnel in communities of faith are found in The Manual, Section I. Pastoral Relations and in related handbooks. Consult with your regional council for guidance.
- Human Resources Policy Manual (943.13 KB) (PDF)
- 2023 Salary Schedule for General Council Office and Regional Council Staff (110.98 KB) (PDF)