Opening/Closing Date: May 3, 2021 to May 21, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: June 20, 2021
The Church in Mission Unit of The United Church of Canada is seeking an individual to fill the role of Youth Social Justice Animator as part of the Canada Summer Program with an anticipated start date of June 20, 2021. This will be a full-time position for 10 weeks at 35 hours per week.
There are five main goals for the Youth Social Justice Animator. Responsibilities include the following:
- To develop a communication strategy for the General Council Office to connect with young people across the church, particularly about social justice initiatives, e.g. anti-racism, environment/climate, and LGBTQ+ inclusion;
- To network youth and young adult justice advocates and focus attention of the wider church on what young people are already accomplishing;
- To support UCC members, and especially young people, in their advocacy efforts, building confidence and skills, particularly in government advocacy;
- To facilitate the authentic engagement of UCC members and especially youth and young adults with justice and advocacy efforts in the church;
- To inspire, engage, and empower young people in articulating a faith-based action plan against social injustices in their own communities.
The Social Justice Animator will gain skills and experience in communications strategies across several platforms, action plan development, and evaluation of advocacy efforts, and working with a team. Most importantly, the Social Justice Animator will find recognition and support for themselves and other young people as leaders within The United Church of Canada
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, education, experience and ability required.
- Youth between the ages of 15 to 30 are eligible to apply for this position
- Be willing to learn about and gain proficiency in new online technologies
- Good verbal and communication skills, meticulous attention to detail and results oriented
- Interest and experience in social justice and advocacy
- Knowledge and basic understanding of the United Church is an asset
As part of our ongoing commitment to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, The United Church of Canada will provide assistance to employees who request accommodation throughout their employment with us, unless the position is deemed to be a bona fide occupational requirement and/or to the point of undue hardship considering issues of health, safety and cost.
The General Council Office of The United Church of Canada is located in Toronto, Ontario. Currently due to COVID-19 employees are working remotely from their homes on secure devices and are available by email and phone during regular hours Monday to Friday.
Salary will be at $19.78 per hour plus 4% vacation pay.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter quoting the job number 21-24 to firstname.lastname@example.org.